Sunday, January 16, 2022

One Is Always the Watcher

Louise Glück, the essayist and Nobel Laureate poet, once offered "Of two sisters, one is always the watcher and the other the dancer." I have three sisters, and don't pretend to have any idea as to how many sets of Capezio shoes they possess among them, nor is it any of my business. 

Today is the birthday of my youngest sister, Jill, whom I have seen so rarely since returning to the United States three decades ago that her good fortune should be the envy of all of our siblings. As it is, I'm fortunate they don't devote a lot of thought to that idea. 

Happy birthday, Jill, with hopes for many, many more!
-bill kenny

No comments:

It's a Long Walk

Today is the birthday of our baby girl, Michelle. She was the smallest and most perfect person I had ever seen on the day of her birth. When...