Saturday, October 29, 2022

Quartet Is Reunited

I'm old if not in many parts decrepit but I'm old when I talk about rock and roll only in terms of The Beatles and all those who crossed the bridge from Britain that their success built here in the USA. 

I had no older brothers or sisters so I never had to endure the Kingston Trio, Glen Yarborough, Gale Gordon, or Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Nor did I have any appreciation for Fabian, Paul Anka, Paul Peterson, or any of those who lept to fill the vacuum when Elvis Presley joined the army. 

I developed an appreciation for the contributions of all the folks I've just named and busloads more as I grew older, if not wiser, and as I researched my history my appreciation for Sam Phillips grew (and continues to grow to this day). Without ever picking up an instrument or singing a note, he helped shape the music I will love for the rest of my life. 

At one point he had under contract the legends: Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Elvis Presley, the Million Dollar Quartet. Over the years, the legends revealed themselves to be far too human, shuffling off this mortal coil, leaving finally only Jerry Lee Lewis. Yesterday, "The Killer" left the building. I'm guessing rehearsals for the reunited quartet will start shortly,
-bill kenny


No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...