Saturday, September 16, 2023

At Least Our Moms Like Us

I've been fortunate to have spent a not-inconsiderable amount of my life in a country other than the United States. This is NOT to say I'm not happy to be an American because I am. However...

I don't really get the folks who say they're proud to be an American, looking at you Lee Greenwood, since as George Bernard Shaw once noted, "Patriotism is a conviction a particular country is the best in the world because one was born in it."  

I suspect we might be a better world if each of us, everywhere, could concentrate on making wherever we come from or now reside, the best place it could be instead of a lot of chest-thumping and saber rattling. 

To a certain extent, we Americans give ourselves a bad name when we visit other countries, and sometimes (and it pains me to say this), we more or less earn it. But I was a little non-plussed and abashed to encounter a very precise and concise compendium of other countries' citizens' pet peeves about us.  

Maybe we could worry less about building a wall and more about building a mirror to get a  better look at ourselves. Just a suggestion.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...