Monday, September 11, 2023

Some Further Thoughts

In the course of the twenty-two years since the attacks of 9/11, I'm sure I'm not alone in having experienced the gamut of every emotion possible, and a few I might have once thought impossible. 

Here are some words from Becky Hemsley, that were not written specifically about or in response to the events of today but ring so true and so real, I feel compelled to share them. 

When I am gone, do not fear my memory.
Do not be afraid to speak my name or look through old photographs. 

Do not be scared to play old videos so that you might hear my voice and see me laughing.
Do not be wary of visiting my favourite places or eating my favourite foods or singing along to my favourite songs. 

I know it will hurt.
Those memories will remind you that I am gone.
They will stab at you like a knife in an open, gaping wound.
Raw, excruciating pain. 

But after a while the knife will become less sharp, the wound will become less open and the pain will become less raw.
And those memories will remind you that I was here.
That I lived. 

Do not reduce my life to my death. 

Speak my name, hear my voice, sing my favourite songs and visit my favourite places.
Because that’s how I can stay alive a little. Right here with you
."  

Judi Scalzi

-bill kenny


No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...