Monday, September 18, 2023

Give Bees a Chance

I am nearly a big fan of bees. I understand why we need them and their importance in the great scheme of life as compared to my role (roadside attraction with some hair), but if I or they get too close to one another, one of us bails. Usually, it's me.  

Last summer I scattered ten pounds of clover seed all across our lawn and backyard and as near as I  can determine very nearly all of it was consumed by the birds who appreciated the variation in the bird seed I normally put in the feeders, and/or was washed away and down a storm drain in one of our rain showers. 

I'd estimate less than two pounds of the seed actually germinated but when and where it did made me feel like Tommy James without the Shondells.  

Now when I mow the lawn I walk a little slower behind the electric mower because I don't want to disturb the bees who, seemingly alone on this planet, appreciate somewhat the effort I am making to help someone other than myself. I don't really want to run them over with the mower, for logical, if also (attempted) humorous reasons.  

But semi-carnally aside, bees are in trouble worldwide which means so are we. And you can put that in your Joe Rogan podcast and smoke it, but instead of listening to him, try listening to this.

Like honey in the rock, if you'll pardon the attempted smile.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...