Monday, June 24, 2024

The Electric Fire

I've spent a lot of time in the last couple of days channel skipping, not surfing, between my local TV stations and the Weather Channel as a heat wave has engulfed New England and large portions of the rest of the world as near as I can determine.  

I'm so old I can remember Bill Buetel, Roger Grimsby, and Tex Antoine at WABC TV-7 Eyewitness News in New York City. The earliest days of happy talk TV as it's somewhat lovingly called by some, but I missed the broadcast where Antoine was fired on the air for an egregiously inappropriate observation on a news story Grimsby had just finished before tossing to Tex (and Uncle Weatherbee) for a forecast. 

It's a far cry from the 'let us entertain you' approach that certified meteorologists on my TV news teams are now employing and deploying with a vengeance. But I suppose it could be worse, far worse.   

I mean, technically, that would be worse, wouldn't it?  
-bill kenny

No comments:

Just Desserts

The cliche goes, 'You are what you eat."  As this CNN feature reveals, I am 9 of 20, sorry Jeri Ryan , and not much higher.   And ...