Saturday, August 24, 2024

Don't Touch that Dial!

The news hit me like a punch to the gut.
NewsRadio 88, WCBS-AM will soon be no more

"Traffic and Weather Together on the Eight's" a watchword for generations of radio listeners in the NYC metropolitan area is over and done.  I've read the story and variations of it for days and despite the explanations and excuses masquerading as reasons, I still don't get it.

The AM radio in every car my father drove for every day he and I shared the planet had one or more stations pre-sets tuned to NewsRadio 88. How the hell else would he know what was going on in the world, or what the weather might be now, as opposed to ten minutes earlier when they last told him? 

Not everything new is better. R.I.P. NewsRadio 88.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words ...