Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Picture Postcards from Near Prosperity

Coming out of the supermarket the other afternoon as I headed to my car, was a fellow standing alongside a Toyota Corolla, not the newest model but well-cared for. In front of the car, in display mode was a table with a hand-written sign that read "$40." It was a coffee table that came to my knees and was about three feet long.

I measure the heights of things in terms of my knees. I've had three operations to replace one and half kneecaps making me nearly bionic but still moronic and have motor skills challenges. He wasn't trying to assault me with the table but sell it.

Meanwhile as both major political parties maneuver to stake out the best positions for the November Election, Dave (I didn't ask if that were his real name. Situation reversed, I wouldn't give me mine either) was doing what he had to do to keep his family from sleeping in that Corolla.

Dave has a job, okay HAD a job, working for a car dealership in the auto body shop. He was especially good, he told me, in frame straightening and cold steel reconfiguration (all I know about cars is where the gas goes. Everything he said was an English I don't speak).
 

You'd think as people held on to their cars longer, because they can't afford to buy new ones, the Daves across the country would be in decent shape, unless their dealers get squeezed by banks whose money they use to buy the cars they sell us. When that happens, they lower their overhead and the Daves all hit the bricks.

He started coming to the parking lot about eight months ago he said, looking to chat up people after they'd bought groceries to see if they needed their sidewalks shoveled free of snow, or pathways cleared to their garages. We had a reasonable amount of snow last winter, though I didn't get the impression he'd made enough money to get the front tires on the Corolla replaced, as they looked a little like the top of my head, if you follow my drift.

He seemed a bright man, just confused as to how he wound up at the place where the road and the sky collide in the bonfire of vanities that has become America 2024.

Dave's already sold off most of his living room. He's got two kids, ready for middle school and no illusions they'll be going anywhere near a college or any other post-secondary educational institution unless they win the lottery.

It's the kind of scene my mom's father, Grampy, used to tell me about when I was small: grown men selling apples in front of skyscrapers in Manhattan and families, like his, learning to not want so they weren't disappointed when they didn't get.
 

Every generation of American since we got started has done better than our parents before us so our children will have it better than we did. It's the promise of that dream that joins us as a nation, no matter our color, gender, religion or politics.

I walked back to my car. I didn't need a coffee table and couldn't persuade Dave to take ten bucks 'just in case' somebody only had thirty. I drove off wondering what the odds are of anyone seeking higher political office encountering Dave and being able to help America keep its promise to him, and everyone else
-bill kenny

No comments:

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words ...