Friday, September 20, 2024

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words to and through emojis (I still call them emoticons which makes me think of Decepticons which is from a movie (I believe) that I've never seen. And is as close to hip as I get these days). 

In this interconnected age, I'm handicapped as a typist in online conversations, mostly with Nigerians seeking business partners, because I'm a terrible typist but mostly because I spell out every word and try to be correct in how I spell them. 

In the interests of speed, I avoid transubstantiation and words of its ilk, because I rarely text The Vatican and very few folks beyond the Papal balcony even know what the word means much less how to spell it.    

As for abbreviations? I'm making an uneasy peace with them in that I use them though not as often as people corresponding with me do and I have to look up so many of them so often because I have no idea what some of them mean. 

Which is why I may keep this article handy as a kind of crib note. 

I will point out, however, that it's missing my current favorite, FAFO.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words ...