Tuesday, September 17, 2024

I'm Too Something or Other for My Shirt

I have never claimed to be a fashion plate. Growing up in parochial and then prep schools, wardrobe selections were out of my hands. I was in the military and the Air Force, for all its supposed liberal leaning, always frowned on tie-dyed combat utility uniforms. 

So here I am in the winter of my years, dressed mostly in short-sleeve tee shirts with snappy sometimes(to some people) offensive sayings when not wearing rock and roll band and branded shirts 

I have some spiffy sports shirts, and I think at least one with the guy on the horse, in my wardrobe, I don't think I have any of the shirts that have an alligator on them, or with an alligator eating a guy on a horse (I think we'd both remember that one). 

I see a lot of people of both sexes (or should I say 'of all sexes'?) at the gym (when I go) in shirts and outfits that really make me feel every day of my seven-plus decades. 
I've encountered women who look to have spray-painted their exercise clothes on. I can always tell with the tops because there are two buttonholes too few and on a cold morning too many party hats. 

Make no mistake: I am happy you are comfortable with your body (after all, you're the one inside of it); can you understand me not so much?

The other day two guys were wandering the facility while I was cursing the treadmill (as it was kicking my butt again) in the kind of clothes that lead you to believe their households are governed by that 'first one up is best one dressed' rule and they are late sleepers. On the front of the one's black tee shirt in white letters was "Weakness is for Tussies" but they used a P instead of a T when they made the shirt. On the back, was "Balls to the Wall" (without a second S for wall).

The fellow alongside him had a shirt back with "Train Like a Maniac" and when he turned around, he had what appeared to be a self-portrait of himself on the front. And people wonder why I insist on earpieces and listening to the audio player(s) on my cell phone. When I encounter someone while out and about I NEVER remove the earpieces, and as they are speaking simply repeat over and over again, 'I won't hear you, I won't hear you.' Some think I should say can't but I've chosen that verb deliberately.

I actually have a shirt with a slogan I got years ago that's still true. People smile when they read it though they shouldn't. It says "I probably don't like you either." In light of how many of my social interactions haven't been working out, it might be more useful to get a shirt with my name and address on one side and 'other side up' on the reverse.
And then hope all those folks from the Literacy Volunteers 
keep their funding.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words ...