Saturday, September 14, 2024

Hello, I Really Must Be Going....

Thanks to an unfortunate combination of looks, personality, and absence of any discernible skills and abilities, I tend to keep myself to myself. This, as anyone who ever spent time with me under the same roof either when we were growing up, or perhaps later as I was growing old, can tell you, is not a bad thing. 

My wife on the other hand is a very open-hearted and caring person (she took in a mutt like me so whatever argument you offer has already been mooted) and people genuinely like her. I am fortunate that they do because for the most part that means they tolerate me. 

I will confess, and concede, I don't put a large amount of effort into being liked. We lived in the same house for almost thirty-three years with pretty much the same neighbors and I hardly know their names and can rarely even come close to guessing first names. 

'Hello,' seems to cover a multitude of sins, both of omission and commission. When neighbors drive by and wave I can see them mouthing "Hello, Sigrid's husband!"  And for my part, beneath my somewhat forced smile, I'm muttering 'Hi, whoever you are.'  

I mention all of this because I found a fascinating article written I assume because having a good excuse for leaving a social gathering is seemingly a critical need. Judge for yourself.

I hate to be harsh, but just from reading their rationale for using them, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near any of the folks who use those excuses. I'll show myself out.
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words ...