Friday, September 27, 2024

Preserve Your Memories

When I was a wee slip of a lad and engaged in neighborhood cut battles (only rule: 'no mothers') a caustic comeback for someone who gave you a stupid look was 'take a picture, it'll last longer.' 

Cut battles, like so much else from my youth to include that clever piece of repartee, clean air, and a sense of right and wrong that wasn't so situational, have all gone the way of high-button shoes. I can remember behavioral modifiers like 'wait until your father gets home,' which these days has about as much relevance and relatability as saying 'You sound like a broken record.' 

So much of what was once is now no more. I saw an article the other day that the last full-size K-Mart, in Bridgehampton, New York, was closing. Farewell, Blue Light Specials I guess. 

This brings me back to pictures, and how long they last, vice digital imagery I suppose. When I was that sharp-tongued sitting on the stoop, all the pictures were taken with film cameras. Always had been, and always would be, or so we thought.  As did the folks who made it all possible in Rochester, New York.  

"Long ago it must be, I have a photograph.
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you."
-bill kenny   

No comments:

Just Desserts

The cliche goes, 'You are what you eat."  As this CNN feature reveals, I am 9 of 20, sorry Jeri Ryan , and not much higher.   And ...