Friday, June 5, 2015

Bagel Seeds

I hadn’t realized this past Monday was “National Be Nice to Someone Day” so I’d like to offer a belated thank you to you who obviously have nothing better to do to with your time. Might not be what the organizers had in mind but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Actually, checking the calendar, which I do usually too late in the game to do me any good, I was bemused (no other word comes to mind) to discover today is National Donut Day (jimmies included), and proving (sort of, I guess) that knowledge is power, because you, too, now know it, we could go to Dunkin’ Donuts and get a free donut.

The holiday is SO BIG it has a second date, November 5th; I most certainly hope the Christmas People are paying attention-and would it kill the pony rides for birthdays guys to follow what I think is a truly excellent example?

There are other places besides DD with free donuts, to include these guys. I haven’t seen or heard anything about Starbucks’ planned observances though I tend to see them as more coffee than cruller in this situation. 

I’d hope perhaps like that Christmas Truce of 1914, today could be a day where corporate competition and hostilities are set aside if only for the time it takes to brush the crumbs from your shirt.

And, silliness aside, it would be nice to search out the folks who (wo) man those red kettles around those aforementioned holidays, and make a donation because as they can tell you, need knows no days off.  And if you’re watching your figure, today is your day because you’ll never gain weight from a doughnut hole.
-bill kenny

No comments:

All Due Respect for Art's Sake

From my earliest days as a short-pants, no romance little kid, I read National Geographic Magazine.  I could be transported anywhere and eve...