Saturday, February 19, 2022

In Every Dream Home

There's a cartoon that makes the rounds every so often that involves two guys (not sure why it's always so gendered specific) with one asking the other, 'whatcha doin'?' to be told "nothing." And the first guy says, 'weren't you doing that yesterday?' and the second guy says, 'Yeah, but I wasn't finished.' Or sometimes his response is 'that's the trouble with doing nothing, It's hard to know when you're done.'   

When I retired my cardiologist told me a joke that I repeat to myself on a regular basis since then because it makes me laugh every time and it's a definition of retirement, "Every day is Saturday. Except for Sunday." Even a FARC like me cracks up when I tell it (I guess I just know how to tell a joke).

I assume at some point (prior to death) the luxury of doing nothing will wear thin, though I'm in no hurry for that to happen. When I was a little kid the most exotic thing you could ever imagine eating was 'pheasant under glass' (sometimes we forgot the H but that's a story for another time) which we all supposed would be wonderful but not if you ate it every day. 

I think that's the appeal of vacations where you actually go someplace else other than where you currently are. At the end of every Super Bowl, for instance, some football player gets to scream that he's going to Disneyland; I suspect that would be not that big a deal if the team played its home game there if you follow my drift. 

I mentioned Disney in particular because a recent CNN news story about Storyliving by Disney residential communities caught my eye. Sigrid and I drove past an exit on a Florida highway for "Celebration" when we vacationed in Florida after attending my nephew's wedding three years ago. I don't recall seeing rainbows in the sky or hearing happy children singing, but I had the windows rolled up in the car and the radio was on so anything is possible I suppose. 

I read the story twice and still can't figure out where, if at all, the folks who choose to live in these communities would want to go on vacation since at least in theory they're already living in the happiest place on earth.
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Man or Mouse?

We see ourselves as the self-anointed 'Crown of Creation.' I'm surprised more of us don't have dislocated shoulders from pat...