Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Not Just Jersey Girls

I was born in New York City but raised to adulthood or what passes for it from a distance in New Jersey. That revelation invariably leads to a question like, 'what exit?' from some half-wit. 

The correct answer in my case is Exit 9, on the New Jersey (what else would you call it? New Mexico?) Turnpike. Your mileage may vary if we're talking about the Garden State Parkway.  

There are a LOT of people living in New Jersey and the state sort of looks like a bow tie stood on its end physically. There are MANY differences between North and South Jersey but one of the similarities seems to be neither one thinks Central New Jersey exists which is kinda awkward in this case as I consider myself to be from Central New Jersey (Franklin Township near New Brunswick). 

So I am more or less, to other New Jerseyans (Jerseyites?), a man without a country. Neither Pork Roll nor Down the Shore but I take solace in that no matter how different we are, or may prove to be, from one another the same sun warms us while the same rains cool us, and at least at the moment, especially at the current prices, I never need to get out of my car to pump my own gas.  

And while Brian and the boys warbled in glorious high harmonies extolling the virtues of California Girls, Tom Waits knew whereof he sang.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...