Friday, July 22, 2022

When It's My Ox Being Gored...

I tease many of the physicians who treat me for the ever-lengthening list of maladies that pass for my medical condition in my seventh decade that I have a very high threshold for pain, as long as it's other people's pain. I can watch YouTube videos of excruciatingly painful and bloody surgical procedures for hours on end because none of it is happening to me; however, when I go for a blood draw, I look away AND close my eyes.  

Like many in this hemisphere, I attempted earlier this week to register for the opportunity to purchase tickets for Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band when they tour in the USA next year. I was not successful (not that I had any confidence I would be but it's like the lottery, right? You cannot win if you do not play.). I was only a little disappointed that I wasn't verified as what seems to have happened is the laws of Supply and Demand have been introduced to Darwin's Survival of the Fittest. 

Here's what I'm talking about, Willis:

I can say Bullshit in a number of languages and that's what this is all about. 

The explanation, apparently, is something called 'dynamic pricing.' (Excessive demand dictates exorbitant pricing). I'm not saying TicketMaster invented it (just the outrageous 'additional fees' part that's tacked on to EVERY ticket purchased anywhere by anyone at any time to include my favorite, the charge for paper tickets that don't actually exist as anything other than email on your phone (usually at $12 or more each)).

This is churn on news sites and Twitter for the last 48 hours. Yeah, sorry we don't have supplies of baby formula for your infant; gasoline is about to drop back below four dollars a gallon and bread is starting to cost more than the circuses it's supposed to distract from but, by all means, let's rage against the machine we (our generation) built to sell us tickets for live entertainment. Are you not amused? Wasn't that the whole point?

So much of post-pandemic American life is overshadowed by 'supply chain disruptions' as the explanation for elevating costs in every aspect of goods and services in our lives. The reality is that 'supply chain disruptions' is a new phrase for a very old concept, greed. 

Check with Gordon Gekko on just how good that actually is.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...