Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Out Here in the Middle

Cynicism is pretty much part and parcel of our lives in nearly every interaction everywhere in this country (state, city), as you've probably noticed. (Quite frankly, how could you not?) and a couple of days ago, I’m thinking because of the sentiment if not the actual words used in this space last week, someone dropped me a note to tell me how ‘hard life must be for a Ted Lasso wannabe.’

Yeah. That introductory offer for Apple TV+ at a dollar a month has already paid for itself, as I appreciated immediately the rapier-like wit of that observation. Except, I suspect (and not just here in Norwich), we have more starry-eyed optimists than we know (but not as many as we need).

Let’s face it. Personally, professionally, and even politically, it’s perhaps better to be a pessimist; that way you can only be surprised and never be disappointed. Except, who would want to live like that, and why? That whole ‘a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?’ first expressed by Robert Browning wasn’t just words strung together but, if you will, a call to arms for each of us and all of us.

The thing about the Ted Lasso comparison that chafes I’ll admit is that I would describe myself philosophically as a relentless pragmatist and politically as Out Here in the Middle.

In terms of the former, I’m proud to say I can do anything but would concede I can’t do everything. And as for the prism of partisan politics through which so much is viewed, I appreciate both a left and a right wing, especially on an airplane, but while it’s never been accused of being sexy, working to find common ground for the greater good is very much how we’ve gotten as far as we have. At least until now.  

Too many, the Salt of the Earth, forget about how a prayer is said for us, 'the stay-at-home voter, dull-eyed though a strange beauty shows'--or how we endure a 'passing parade of grey-suited grafters, a choice of cancer or polio.' Instead, we wait for the perfect moment and for someone to rescue us and have forgotten we are all we have, but also all we need.

Isn’t it time we embrace the tools and techniques of the 21st Century, (admittedly late to the game, but still) and stop talking about improving Norwich and start doing it? You may be like me, whose last original idea died of loneliness, so perhaps together we two could assist private and public efforts striving to improve where we live and work, instead of standing around with our hands in our pockets, shaking our heads and waiting for things to end badly.

I've lived here for a shade over three decades and think we need to find out how much we can accomplish when no one is keeping score or claiming credit. I think dreams, voiced and shared aloud, can and should be what drives the public dialogue that’s essential to creating consensus that fuels transformation and change.

In the coming weeks, we’ll have a new platform and community outreach to help us help ourselves be the city we keep telling ourselves we want and can be. This is our chance and our time. Be ready.  
-bill kenny

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...