Monday, July 4, 2022

The Mystery of History

I wrote this originally thirteen years ago today. Yeah, I probably know even less English now. 

A lot has happened in the world between then and now including our son marrying his Jena three years ago today. I wish I could take credit for his having had the presence of mind to pick our national birthday as the way to remember his anniversary but he came up with it all by himself. 

Happy Anniversary Jena and Patrick!

I should have pointed out earlier they were not engaged thirteen years ago or, in other words, what I mentioned at the very top of the first paragraph has everything to do with what follows, our nation's birthday, rather than with Patrick and Jena who are, to my knowledge still both living in this nation whose birthday we observe today. 

Meanwhile back at our nation's independence and my sem-historic thoughts on the same from all those years ago. I called it:: 

Greetings from Exit Nine

You already know it's the Fourth of July--the calendar told you that. And we  Americans (how arrogant are we that we share this American continent with people from Canada and Mexico-not even mentioning the other American continent, but we are Americans and everyone else is, well, everyone else) can, I hope, find the time today to reflect on who we are and how we got here (the good parts. We beat one another up way too often the rest of the year on who has warts and where they are. Let's have a truce, okay?).

Photo by Brian Swope of Norwich fireworks, July 5, 2021

I consider myself a Jersey Guy--I wasn't born there, but we moved there when I was very small and I moved away (not realizing it was forever) back in1975. Now, when I visit relatives--actually that's code for when I visit my brother, Adam, and his wife Margaret, I'm aware 'this is not my Here' (because I've felt it everywhere I've been my whole life). But wherever I lay my hat comes to mind.

2019 Norwich fireworks from ground level

And, because if you've read me more than once, you know while you can take the boy out of Jersey, you can't take the Jersey out of the boy, you had to guess I'd close with a quote Joyce Kilmer. Or not
-bill kenny

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...