Monday, April 24, 2023

But a Dream...

This may creep you out, for which  I apologize in advance. It happens every time one of our children comes to visit us (we live in Connecticut and they live with their partners, respectively, in Virginia and Florida). 

Late last week, our son came to see us as part of a three-day business-connected junket he was on, and his mother and I had a great afternoon catching up with him and hearing about his adventures. Shortly before, but not part of, the Thanksgiving holidays last year, our daughter and her affianced were in town for a friend's wedding and came to call and catch up as well.

My wife and I had actually seen both of our children, together, last summer as part of what I now call "My Reach Exceeded My Grasp" Road Trip where we drove our new (leased) Forester, first to Virginia to see our daughter and recruit her as an additional driver for when we then continued to Jupiter, Florida, to surprise our son for his 40th birthday. Memories to last me a lifetime because as my body explained to my brain for many days afterward, we're not doing that again ever.    

Invariably, after a visit with one of our children, I have a series of dreams, usually for two to four nights (as near as I can remember) about my being a child, growing up with my parents and siblings, but that also have my spouse and our children in them. I'm aware that they shouldn't be which is how even in the dream, I know it's a dream but that doesn't make it any less disquieting as in the dreams I often recall situations that I lived through in some cases well over sixty-five years ago. 

So I'm still a little bit jumpy as I process the differences between real life and surreal life, I guess I'll call it, without disrespecting either. In the midst of that struggle, I came across an article on a related topic, end-of-life dreams, that vexes me greatly since I've pretty much convinced myself that this is all there is in terms of life and hereafter but for obvious reasons, especially with every succeeding Natal anniversary I try to keep an open mind on the subject. 

 I promise, if possible to let you know how that works out.
-bill kenny


No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...