Thursday, April 6, 2023

Language City Don't Mean a Thing to Me

I'm very jealous of my wife, not just because she had the remarkably good fortune and excellent taste to marry me (my crippling modesty is often a burden I admit) but because she switches between two languages, her native German and her adopted English, with the greatest of ease. 

Actually, I'm jealous of anyone who can do that or who can speak more than one language not just because of the experiences and insights they can develop and acquire but because of how much the practice of exercising your cognitive skills in different languages can benefit you. 

I struggle with English, and watching any of the going-on from the seat of government in Washington, D.C., via C-SPAN or, in my case from Hartford, Connecticut, via CT-N, I am not alone. But I've been semi-gobsmacked reading an article that drifted across one of my social media feeds about how "Your Brain Wires Itself to Match Your Native Language." 

We humans are amazingly complex machines, wired to excel which makes so much of what we sometimes do to one another that much more frustrating and disappointing.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...