Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Early Days

It's a fine line between childlike and childish, and I ride on it balanced like Duna on a bike in a John Irving novel. 

I was born months before Eisenhower was elected president and remember (without fully understanding) how sad everyone was when John F. Kennedy was murdered.  

My family used to watch Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color on Sunday evenings, but we made an exception the night of  February 9, 1964. I didn't know I was waiting for The Beatles. Hell, I wasn't yet twelve years old and was unaware of puberty. 

And they changed it all, not just for me but for all of us who saw/heard them and (pardon my 'OK, Boomer' attitude) for everyone who was to follow us. They didn't invent rock and roll, but for me they might well have, as I never listened to music the same way again. 

Klaus Voormann's Revolver album cover 

Pick your current favorite performer and remember how you felt when you first experienced them. Multiply it by a thousand, and then that number by a million, and then that number by a trillion, and you're still not within shouting distance of the impact of the Fab Four. 

My generation always says 'you had to be there,' when describing almost anything. In the case of The Beatles, it's a vast understatement. Even if you were there, this video can help deepen your appreciation of the four men who wrote so much of the soundtrack of the movie of my growing up. 

Yes, it's a long video, but then again, so is life
-bill kenny

No comments:

And the Stars Look Very Different Today

Our lives and times seem much harder than they once were (and getting harder all the time), and I'd suggest they are. But being the Crow...