Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Emptying the Ocean with a Teaspoon

Given the summer we had in these parts, we should see a reasonably sedate autumn, with local voters paying close attention to the issues at hand and on hand, listening carefully to neighbors seeking office, and making choices that benefit us all. 

Ha, ha! 

I just crack myself up sometimes. Forget what you've heard: peyote buttons aren't found on southwest sweaters. 

But seriously. 

The higher up the governmental food chain you go, the less functional everything seems to be. Helps explain the chaos emanating from the UN and let's not spend a lot of time talking about the goings-on in Dodge City, okay? We're going to elect 435 congressional representatives, about thirty Senators, and close to the same number of Governors come November. 


What still works does so best when we're closest to home. Stands to reason that while I may not be able to see the White House from my house, I can still see yours, and while I'm happy you're waving, I'd be happier, still, if you used more than one finger. Just sayin'. 

Here's my point. People prefer problems that are familiar to solutions that are not. I arrived in Norwich, Connecticut, 35 years ago and fell in love with the possibilities here, albeit for the most part, still unrealized.

We need doers and dreamers and people to encourage both, who can have patience when the path forward is arduous and show some grace when a project doesn't work as planned. 

We are all we can count on to improve our city; it's time we start treating one another as partners in our progress in building the Norwich we want to come home to. Something (I hope) to think about as Election Day 2026 approaches.
-bill kenny


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Making the Colors Bright

Sunday afternoon while searching (in vain) for the Germany-Greece UEFA Nations League Soccer  Football Match, I came across the Pillow Figh...