Wednesday, September 20, 2017

As Wild Ideas Go....

My last original thought died of loneliness, so I hang on to any glimmer of an idea which crosses or crawls over my front lobes very tightly with both hands (which makes typing difficult). Humor me, or try. 

Like lots and lots of people across the region, I was unpleasantly surprised when Benny's announced it was closing all of its stores. It was sad, though admittedly to a certain extent not altogether unexpected news. 

The rate and pace of change in our lives continues to accelerate so much that I wonder what we'll look like by the end of this sentence, much less the end of the decade. I thought about ordering a black armband from Amazon to wear in mourning of the passing of another brick and mortar retailer but then realized maybe that particular purchasing habit was at the root of the problem.

I've been told experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want and we have certainly had a lot of experience with disappointments of all manner around here but, just sayin' (and stay with me on this), what if the closing of the Norwich Benny's could prove to be the opening of that Community Center we've taken a kajillion surveys about since surveys were invented that always tells us that's what we say we need here in Norwich (when we mean we'd like to have).

I know what you're thinking (actually I have no idea, but that's a great way to transition from one paragraph to another and vamp for time) but I'm not kidding. I've been in the store far more times than I can remember (as have you, right?) and it's a large space in what I think is a pretty nice location for a community center (based on my seconds of experience as a planner).

The building is next door to a passive recreation area (I didn't mean Gorin's; I meant on the other side) with a large parking area for cars, and on a bus route for those without cars. It's down the street (four-minute walk or so) from the Norwichtown Green and across the street from the Norwichtown Commons. 

My point in putting the building into play this way is we fall in love around here with complex and complicated planning for facilities and activities that never get to Square One so we devote all of our energy to pursuing mirages. Yes, I know the building is on the property tax rolls but in this daydream, I'm not concerned about that. 

Let's pretend the store is empty and pretty soon we won't be pretending. How many tremendously good ideas to put that empty space can we develop, how many children, youth and family activities can we house there? What would we need to build inside that space and what will any or all of that cost? I have no idea and don't pretend to, though all of those are excellent questions.

My part of this was in asking "what happens if we do?", and with the strike of a few keys on a computer keyboard, my part is already done. I got this started and since life is a relay, pick it up and carry it forward. If you want something either you find a way or make an excuse. Your choice.
-bill kenny      

    

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...