Monday, August 25, 2008

To Trade in these Wings for some Wheels..........

The Democratic Party's national convention begins formally today in Denver, Colorado. I'm not sure how much of it, and the Republicans' convention from Minneapolis (I think) Minnesota, in less than a fortnight, are on television but I'll bet if we could get either Miley Cyrus or a professional football player to address the delegates, we'd be subjected to human waves assaults from credentialed media outlets around the world, gavel to gavel. I have my own cold cuts and figure the bread should be here shortly-I'm still not sure there's more to these circuses than just the clowns.

I continue to hope for the best, but also scan the worldwide web for information on all those seeking the office of the US President, because this menu of two choices has left me at the age of 56 crying for the moon and angry that the real choice seems to be 'take it or leave it.' And too many of us served and sacrificed in the uniform of our armed forces to protect freedom of choice and to expand it to the far corners of the globe to allow the rest of us to become so comfortably numb that it's reduced to freedom from choice.

You don't need to root around looking for websites like Vote Smart, it's right there at the hyperlink (and you're welcome) or if you're my children's ages, perhaps Generation Engage. Admittedly, I'm a bit tepid about USA Voter, in terms of its flavors but it has the draft platforms of the two major parties and I've argued for years with well-meaning people that we should stop making elections about personalities and make them about issues. My trouble is I'm not six feet tall with naturally wavy hair and perfect teeth, so hardly anyone looks at me (without wincing). And proving it takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry, there's Indecision 2008 which is savagely funny until you remember we are the punchline.

Democracy is a contact sport, so wear a cup, grab a program and start taking notes. There's a chance in the coming days we could be riding out tonight to case the Promised Land/If you're ready to take that long walk/From your front porch to my front seat/The door's open but the ride it ain't free." As a matter of fact, we'll need to pay for it everyday, starting today. No EZ Pass, for us, my friend, we're too long in the wasteland-we'll need coin of the realm. Exact change, and lots of it.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...