Today is National Grandparents Day. It was informally observed for decades until the presidency of Jimmy Carter, who established it as the first Sunday after Labor Day, on Sunday, 7 September 1979.
To be honest, it could have been celebrated since the founding of the Republic, and until VERY recently I would have had no idea. And by 'VERY recently' I mean since the middle of July. My wife and I became first-time grandparents with the birth of a son to our daughter, Michelle, and her husband, Kyle.
In this Age of Technology, Oma and Opa have been oohing and ahhing over shared videos on Facebook and devouring all the still imagery we can find. Still, tomorrow, albeit very late in the day, as it's a drive and a half to Virginia, we'll get a chance to see our grandchild in the flesh for the first time.
We'll only be in Virginia for a couple of days, not long enough to see him grow up and go to college by any means, but hopefully, to share moments of his life we'll remember even though he won't. I think the expression is true: "A grandchild fills a space in your heart you never knew was empty."
-bill kenny

No comments:
Post a Comment