Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Sweeep of the Second Hand

There's still bright sunshine and a warmth that lingers into the late afternoon (just not as late as it did a month ago), but the calendar has no illusions: another summer has come and gone.

I'm hoping we have a Second Summer as we've had in recent years, and then a lovely fall that mysteriously and miraculously blends effortlessly into a beautiful New England spring. What's that you say? Winter? 

Sorry, I can't hear you, and there's no point in speaking up or repeating yourself; I still can't won't hear you. I understand the restorative powers and the role each of the seasons plays- I don't choose to enjoy winter. Ever since I didn't get that new sled for Nikolaus Tag years ago, I'm over it now.

Truth to tell, considering the speed with which this summer passed (and yeah, they seem to accelerate as I age) and the number of us who had fervent hopes but few plans for what we were to do with it, perhaps what I should learn is to enjoy the days while they are here. 

Anticipation is great (and perfect on burgers), but savoring the flavor of the moment, while in the moment, may be something us old people who think we're not should cultivate and not try so hard to avoid.
-bill
kenny

No comments:

The Sweeep of the Second Hand

There's still bright sunshine and a warmth that lingers into the late afternoon (just not as late as it did a month ago), but the calend...