As I've aged, the only part of me getting thinner is my hair, and perilously so. When I was little, barber shops were closed on Sunday and Wednesday (supposedly to make up for being open on Saturday, when most of their customers, boy-kids, were dragged by their moms to get haircuts).
My dad always insisted on crew cuts. I hated crew cuts; correction on the tense of the verb, still hate crew cuts. I sort of understood the Wednesday closing and, from my own experience, can appreciate how relaxing having a day off in the middle of the week can be.
It was the Sundays off I never understood. It must have been habit or tradition; it wasn't reciprocity, that's for sure. Every picture I've ever seen of Jesus has him with long hair and a beard, so it's not like he had his own barber back in the day. That actually increased my regard for barbers as a kid-they were nice when The Lord may not have been their biggest customer.
I think if you're going to work one or more of the days of the weekend, you should seriously consider consecutive weekdays off as compensation. The locked place over the weekend I stood in front of sparked this train of thought. It was closed because 'he's open on Sundays,' the fellow sitting on the bench told me.
I wondered why he wasn't closed on Sunday and open on Saturday, as so many of us see Saturday as part of the work week now, and the fellow explained that there was little business traffic on Saturdays.
Of course not-the store is closed. Who would go to a store that's closed? I suspect people who have no money to spend. And these days, the foot traffic alone could fill a shoe store for millipedes. -bill kenny
No comments:
Post a Comment