Friday, September 12, 2014

Wait a Minute, Mr. Postman

For years, “The Nanny” was a laugh-out-loud guilty pleasure of mine. The only other person on the show I paid any attention to aside from the butler Daniel Davis was, of course, Fran Drescher whose voice at what she projected to be her most sultry (I’m sure) was fingernails on a chalkboard. Ah, the reassuring nasality of “tall Paul poured water.”

I hadn’t thought about her in many years and, catching up on my research, I am delighted that her career hasn’t suffered as a result of my neglect. A cancer survivor she has earned every ounce of  happiness she has and so I was pleased to read over the past weekend she had gotten married to (and this was the part that most piqued my curiosity), the “Inventor of Email”, Shiva Ayyadurai.

In light of the fact that I persist in claiming to be the inventor of both texting and electricity, and the co-inventor of that lifesaving device used by divers who get the bends, the hyperbolic chamber (or something like it), far be it from me to rain on the newlyweds’ parade in contesting the invention of email (lower case deliberate).

Instead, allow me to quote from a passage of the book of Python, Monty; and good luck you crazy kids,  burrowing through that elephant.

-bill kenny 

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...