Monday, June 9, 2014

Footprints in the Sand

Getting ready to head out this morning and return to my work-a-day world, meaning a stop at the Planet Fitness a two minute drive from my house (the irony is ignored, not lost, believe me) before joining the wage-slaves skipping the adult refreshment in pursuit of the coin of the realm.

It's okay. My father (more or less) did the same and his before him and I anticipate our children doing likewise. Colibris cannot aspire to be fireflies, and it's a damn good job they don't as we'd have more fireflies than we'd know what to do with.

But as I put my sneakers, sorry for what I paid for them I suppose I should type "sports shoes," I had to empty out the weekend from both of them. My family were guests at the wedding of my brother and sister-in-law's son on the beach behind his in-laws' house in Point Pleasant Beach and the NJ Tourism Board worked overtime to give all of us out of towners a DTS experience weather-wise we shan't forget anytime soon.


It was beyond gorgeous and I especially enjoyed getting up on Saturday morning and walking the beach in relative solitude (me and the gulls and the terns and a few guys with metal detectors and even fewer with beach sweepers).  My days of running on the beach are decades past, though not talking about it, obviously.

The dry sand is like walking through high snow, a terrific aerobic exercise though that wasn't the first or only thing I thought on Saturday morning while the wet sand, more compact and easier to walk on, takes you closer to the water which is its own reward and penalty all at the same time.


Getting close enough to get that picture, not surprisingly got me water to my ankles and an instantaneous understanding of why the red pennants (no swimming allowed) were flying from the beach access kiosks despite the lifeguards in the chairs dotting the beach line. The water was cold-but the summer is long and the swimming will come.

I spent most of Sunday drying out my sneakers on the roof of my garage and then putting them on outside on my back stoop this morning after emptying them out. As for the weekend's memories and beach sand, one I'll keep and the other I'll sweep.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Eleven Years On

I'm reprising something I wrote years ago on this date because there was nothing else to write but the words of the next paragraphs. And...