Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lazin' on a Sunny Afternoon

It's not summer but if the last couple of days are a foreshadowing, I am so ready already, Freddy. I hope your Saturday was as swell as mine, or close. We had our annual Dragon Boat Races in the Norwich Harbor yesterday.


The harbor is formed by the joining of the very well-known Thames (pronounced as in 'thame thit, different day' because the river's mouth is in New London not the original one, I guess) River with the Shetucket (rhymes with nevermind what it rhymes with) and the Yantic (as in frantic).


I have no idea how many years the Dragon Boat Races have been held but the folks who turned out for it (many) seemed to be enjoying it (greatly) and there were places to buy hot dogs and adult beverages and refreshments for other than adults, too, and the ice cream shop which opened last year in Howard T. Brown Park (the "T" is for Extra Special and is invisible and silent, unlike many of our residents) was open and scooping and serving to their heart's desire.


Considering this time last week temperatures were in the middle fifties and the skies were very grey with what seemed to be at least a 50% chance of snow, yesterday was a great preview of the summer, or of what I hope will be the summer. And if we were to have another day about the same today, just to convince those still wavering, who am I to complain?
-bill kenny

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...